Ever After Author Affair

Hosted by Once Upon a Crush Book Blog and Author Angela Graham
July 18th, 2015
Columbus OH



Sunday, January 5, 2014

Review of Crashing Back Down by Kristen Mazzola

4 STARS

I hate adding in spoilers to my reviews, however, this one is a toughing but I will do my best and if one slips up, I'll warn you!

I was given this book by the author for an honest reviewed.

This book deserves the four stars and I really hope to give the next book (which I am dying to read) 5 stars. The ending saved this book. It pulled me back in just when I was about to set my mind to the book being 3 stars. So let's start from the beginning:

Mags is in her early twenties and is suffering in the grief of her husband's, Randy, death. Thankfully she seems to have a great support system, even though she is in a huge funk! Basically, we meet her at the beginning of a transition phase. She wants to be normal again and have a life but has too much guilt inside her. This is to be expected. We quickly meet Walker and see how he has been a huge support for her. Walker is Randy's best friend and he feels like he needs to take on the responsibility of caring for Mags. Cali, her best friend, makes appearances that help show who Mags was before Randy's death.

Ok Spoiler time, but nothing to bad:
It's a romance so obviously Mags is falling for someone. She is guilt ridden because of these feelings. She is confused and rightly so. She is still in love with her dead husband yet falling for another shortly afterwards. But we all must remember Mags past with this person. He's not just some guy she picked up at a bar. There's history plus they share in the same grief that is the bond between them. However, just as Mags is finally excepting that fact she can be happy after Randy, the one person she should be able to trust the most, crashes her world. I can only imagine what Mags is thinking and feeling. Everything she thought was true turns out to be a lie.

All this is what made me love the book. It's what deserved the 5 star rating. However, there was a bunch of extra stuff. I don't really care what everyone is wearing everyday. They drink ALOT!! Which I suppose it normal for that age group, but everyday ends with a drink. We read about the same internal conflict of guilt and grief repeatedly that it becomes redundant after awhile. I would have like to see more bonding between Mags and her fling, whereas, we see more of the internal and external turmoil of the relationship. I wanted to support their relationship but had no real reason why I should. I needed more interaction between them. Mags outings with Cali appear to be pointless and have nothing to do with the story, but when I look back at them, they help me fill in the holes of who Mags is. Without Cali and their girl time, Mags just comes off a grieving, confused mess! There were times, I found myself skimming because of all the extra words.

HOWEVER!!
The ending was awesome and that is why everyone should read this book. Nothing is what is seems. I need book 2 in my hands now because I must know what happens! It does leave on a cliff hanger and a really good one that is going to piss a lot of people off (assuming they don't like cliff hangers).


US: http://amzn.to/1dGLXXc
UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GG1KREQ
Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/crashing-back-down-kristen-hope-mazzola/1117541808?ean=2940148909507

No comments :

Post a Comment